Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
The Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course teaches students to respond to and manage illnesses and injuries in a child or an infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives. The course is intended for those involved in child care who have a duty to respond to children's health emergencies, including child-care workers, teachers, foster-care workers, camp counselors, youth organizations, and coaches for children's sports organizations. This course is also ideal for parents, grandparents, babysitters, and guardians.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or an infant
- describe the four key steps in first aid for children and infants: prevent, protect, assess, and act
- describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
- control bleeding and bandage wounds
- correctly remove protective gloves
- use an epinephrine pen
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR, and perform high-quality CPR for an infant, child, or adult (adult CPR module is optional)
- give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on a child or an adult (adult AED module is optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking infant, child, or adult.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Choose from classroom-based and blended-learning formats to expand your reach!
American Heart Association offers the Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid course in either a classroom-based or a blended-learning format. Both formats use the same Instructor materials, which gives you a complete, flexible training solution.
Classroom-based training is entirely Instructor-led. Students complete the entire course in one video-based classroom session with an Instructor, which covers course content, skills practice, and testing.
- Hands-on instruction with an American Heart Association Instructor allows students to practice skills and ask questions throughout the course.
- Students complete their training in a single convenient session.
- Ideal for students with limited access to technology.
- Students keep their workbook for ongoing future reference.
Blended learning combines self-paced online training with hands-on, Instructor-led skills practice. Students first learn the course content online using Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid Online. They then attend an Instructor-led hands-on session focused on skills practice and testing.
- The online portion allows students to complete exercises and learn at their own pace.
- The hands-on session allows time for practice and discussion.
- Students have access to Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online for 24 months after activation, allowing them to revisit simulations and videos after they complete the course.