Heartsaver® First Aid
The Heartsaver® First Aid course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid in a variety of injury and other emergency situations in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
Need to teach Spanish Heartsaver® First Aid?
Use the Spanish language Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED course materials!
Who should take Heartsaver® First Aid?
Anyone with little or no medical training who needs a First Aid course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements, or who simply wants to be prepared to respond to emergencies with appropriate first aid.
Heartsaver® First Aid is the ideal course for:
- camp counselors
- day-care providers
- teachers and school staff
- construction contractors
- landscapers and arborists
Concepts and skills covered in Heartsaver® First Aid include:
- first aid basics
- illnesses and medical emergencies, including stroke, seizure, and allergic reactions
- external bleeding
- internal bleeding
- head, neck, and spinal injuries
- broken bones, sprains, and burns
- bites and stings
- heat stroke and hypothermia
- illness and injury prevention
Students who successfully complete the course will
be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
Heartsaver® First Aid is a credentialed course
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid course completion card that is valid for two years.
Available in classroom-based and blended-learning formats.