Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED
The Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid and CPR and to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
Available languages: English, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese
Who should take Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED?
Lay responders who wish to combine first aid with CPR training to give them a broad base of lifesaving skills and a credential for their job or other requirements.
Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED is the ideal
- babysitters and child-care workers
- health and fitness coaches
- teachers and school staff
- flight attendants
- anyone who needs a credential in first aid and CPR for their job
Concepts and skills covered in Heartsaver® First Aid
CPR AED include:
- external bleeding
- internal bleeding
- head, neck, and spine injuries
- broken bones, sprains, and burns
- bites and stings
- heat stroke and hypothermia
- adult CPR and AED use
- opioid emergencies
- child & infant CPR and AED use
Students who successfully complete the course will
be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult alone or as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR (child and infant CPR modules are optional)
- give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a barrier device for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (child and infant AED modules are optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking adult or child (infant choking module is optional).
Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED is a credentialed course
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Available in classroom-based and blended-learning formats.