Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED
The Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid and CPR and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner. Heartsaver courses are intended for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting.
Available languages: English, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult alone or as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR (child and infant CPR modules are optional)
- give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a barrier device for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (child and infant AED modules are optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking adult or child (infant choking module is optional).
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration and a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
Choose from classroom-based and blended-learning formats to expand your reach!
American Heart Association offers the Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course in either a classroom-based or a blended-learning format. Both formats use the same Instructor materials, which gives you a complete, flexible training solution.
Classroom-based training is entirely Instructor-led. Students complete the entire course in one video-based classroom session with an Instructor, which covers course content, skills practice, and testing.
- Hands-on instruction with an American Heart Association Instructor allows students to practice skills and ask questions throughout the course.
- Students complete their training in a single convenient session.
- Ideal for students with limited access to technology.
- Students keep their workbook for ongoing future reference.
Blended learning combines self-paced online training with hands-on, Instructor-led skills practice. Students first learn the course content online using Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Online. They then attend an Instructor-led hands-on session focused on skills practice and testing.
- The online portion allows students to complete exercises and learn at their own pace.
- The hands-on session allows time for practice and discussion.
- Students have access to Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online for 24 months after activation, allowing them to revisit simulations and videos after they complete the course.